Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday. Fun. Facts. Foolishness.

Calling all readers:: No news of the iPhone here. Thank you for your attention of my inattention of this phenomenon.

Quote O' The Day:: "Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangeo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Edison." ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr., author of the thin, useful, and quite plaid "Life's Little Instruction Book."

As much as it irritates me, I often re-read that quote. Keeps my whining at bay for a few hours.

Nope. Not lyin' about this e-mail:: We all get forwarded e-mails. Bazillions of these true and false reports circulate the globe. Upon occasion, these items make me laugh. A few have provoked tears to well up in my normally dry eyes. (Disclaimer:: I'm not much of a boohoo-er, but I've been spotted with quivering lips when someone really belts "The Star-Spangled Banner" at sporting events. Really.)

Anyhoo, my sister sent me a YouTube video (type in "Christian The Lion," and one of the vids will pop up) of two guys who bought a lion cub at Harrod's in 1969, and the story that followed, which ended when that darn cat recognized them when they visited his new environment years later. It was touching, so of course I dabbed my eyes, despite my doubts that this was the real deal. So I went to Nancy Drew's favorite assistants at Snopes.com, and ... Kleenex, please ... it's a true tale. Check it out. It just reaffirms what we animal lovers know.

Disappearing actors:: Have you ever watched a movie you haven't seen forever, then scratch your head later and wonder, "What ever happened to so-and-so?" Well, I recently re-watched the much-underappreciated "The Trouble With Angels," starring Rosalind Russell, Hayley Mills and June Harding. It's a '60s "Sister Act," without the singing. The flick was even better than I remembered, partly because of Ida Lupino's direction. (Note:: Ida Lupino was a tough-cookie-style actress, who turned to directing a WHOLE lot of TV shows until she died. She, in fact, directed one of the scarier "Twilight Zone" episodes called "The Masks.")

I kept thinking about June Harding, who was so good as Hayley Mill's best friend in the movie. I checked out imdb.com, but there wasn't too much about June, except that she was in some old TV shows. I almost passed out when I realized that's she's nearly 70 -- who knew? Actors age just like the rest of us. I'd love to know what happened to her. Anyone out there know anything?

Everybody's working for the weekend:: Just wanted that song stuck in your head, since it's replaying in mine. Sorry to be a royal pain. Ah, a transition. Speaking of all things royal, pop over to Prince Charles' web page. Many interesting factoids. His job description states three duties::
  • Undertake royal duties in support of The Queen.

  • Work as a charitable entrepeneur.

  • Promote and protect what is best about Britain.

Now you know.

That's all she wrote. Today. Until later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the power of pets...those who love animals know the video is absolutely true...and those who don'at ave the animal sense will of course doubt it. Like I always say...either you get the power of the pets theory or you don't. Unfortunately, the world needs more of us who do. If you want another tear jerker, check out the quick read book Mostly Bob. It's another one of those things that either you end up bawling and totally get it, or your don't. Either way, it's worth the quick 10 minute read. Keep up the interesting writings.

Katherine said...

Uh oh. I should read comments in the order they are submitted. (I just responded to your later comment, as you might be able to tell.)

"Mostly Bob" is a wonderful read; I own it, and reviewed it somewhere.

I had the pleasure of hearing Joe Camp (of "Benji" fame) speak recently, and though my knowledge of horses is limited to Trigger, Fury and the like, I'd highly recommend his latest book, "The Soul Of A Horse." It's a pleasurable and easy read, but it made me think about our treatment of horses (as in, don't put horseshoes on these beautiful creatures).

At the event I attended, Mr. Camp actually got choked up and couldn't speak for a moment as he described his relationship with animals. I was impressed and inspired.